| Journal of the Arizona Dental Association, June-July 2013
afford it. It currently has the largest mobile dental
care fleet in the country. In 2012 provided
8.7 million
in dental care. I graduated from OHSU in 2000 with
a DMD degree, Cum Laude and with Clinical Hon-
ors. Liz and I went back to her hometown of Sedona,
Arizona, where her father, Ollie Hundelt, DDS, and
brother-in-law, Paul Parrella, DMD, shared a dental
practice. I worked nights in their office until I started
my own practice, which happened three months later
in a separate office. Undeniably, it was rough for the
first year on my own. We had no existing patients, but
we managed to keep the office running. Head Start,
a federal program that promotes school readiness of
children ages birth to five-years-old from low-income
families approached me with a dental contract for $40
visit (exam, BW’s, prophy), and I still honor it to this
day. The Yavapai County Sheriff ’s Office contracted
with me to see the inmates as well, and I go to their
600-inmate facility in Camp Verde every other Mon-
day. I was also approached by Kachina Pointe Nursing
Home to see their dental emergencies and have provid-
ed care to their facility since 2000. Yavapai Long Term
Care contracted with me to see their indigent Medicare
patients as well. Needless to say, my private practice has
grown, and I eagerly look forward to the weekends, like
many of you reading this.
Last, I am quite the sports fan, undoubtedly a result
of my family’s ASU background, and knowing some
of the old coaches like Frank Kush, Jim Brock, Dan
Devine, Ned Wulk, and Bobby Winkles. Liz and I
have three daughters, Liza (13), Mary-Claire (11), and
Helen (8), whose interests led me to volunteer coach-
ing AYSO girl’s soccer (2007-2012), Little League girls
softball (2008-2012), and Big Park Community School
girls basketball (2010-2013). The most fun I have had
in the last year was coaching “the little team that could,
and damn near did” Big Park Community School to the
2013 State Championship game. We were undefeated
at 17-0 entering the championship game against Many
Farms. Before the game, I told the girls, “There can
only be one winner in a championship game, and it
has been one hell of a ride that will end tonight, win
or lose.” It was a great game that went down to the
wire, with Big Park leading 37-36 with 10 seconds
served as team physician for Arizona State University
football, a part-time college physician at ASU, and
track physician at Turf Paradise Racetrack. He left his
successful medical practice to serve his country meri-
toriously during WWII as a member of 320
cal Battalion, 3
Army. His outfit landed on Omaha
Beach in September 1944, three months after D-Day,
with troops still fighting against the Nazi resistance.
Grandpa was promoted from 1
Lieutenant to Captain
personally by General Patton. Following WWII, he
transferred to the Army National Guard and retired
after twenty years of service as Brigadier General.
Grandpa was one of the few physicians who treated
people of Japanese ancestry after the Pearl Harbor. At
his retirement appreciation night in 1979, his most cher-
ished possession was a letter from the Japanese Ameri-
can Citizens League. Dr. Richard Matsuishi wrote, “We
wish to thank you for treating persons of Japanese
ancestry during World War II, when doing so could
have meant a personal loss to you.” Coincidentally, my
great-grandfather, Dr. William Alfred Westervelt, was
also a physician. He served in the Ohio National Guard
under Teddy Roosevelt in the Spanish-American War.
All of the aforementioned stories and exposure to
the medical field influenced my decision to become
a dentist and my two brothers, Chris and Justin, to
become nephrologists in the medical field. During my
undergraduate years at ASU, my wife, Liz, and I vol-
unteered to feed the homeless at the Andre House in
downtown Phoenix. We had a group of ASU students
that went every Thursday evening, whose mission was
to respond to the basic needs of the poor and home-
less, while encouraging others to do the same. Liz and
I also volunteered at the Arizona State Mental Hospital
at 32
Street and Van Buren with the rehab services
department. This gave us a first-hand look at the men-
tal health issues that burden our society, and how the
majority of homeless people are saddled with mental
health issues as well.
My dental education started in 1996 at Oregon Health
Sciences University. During the summers at OHSU I
volunteered at Russell Street Public Health Aids Clinic
in Portland, Oregon. I was able to volunteer in their
oral surgery clinic, and I learned how to show empathy
towards HIV patients who did not have much longer
to live. The Russell Street Clinic was the leading dental
provider for people living with HIV in the Portland
area, and it also trained dentists how to care for people
living with HIV and educated them on the complex
oral health issues associated with AIDS. Summers in
Portland also led me to volunteering with Northwest
Medical Teams Pediatric Dentistry Mobile Units that
provided critical dental care to children who could not
I worked nights in their office until I
started my own practice, which hap-
pened three months later in a sepa-
rate office. Undeniably, it was rough for
the first year on my own. We had no
existing patients, but we managed to
keep the office running.
1...,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,...48